Neo-Liberal Revolution

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Is legalism a liberal virtue?

No, you really don't want to go here and look.

Short version... some US soldiers got "stuck" in Ireland. While they were put up in a hotel some of them decided to get some fresh air and sunshine. A local "peace-activist" performed a "citizen's arrest" because it's against the law for foreign soldiers to walk about Ireland.

Now, I've got no idea at all how this person styles himself other than as a peace-activist, but apparently he and his supporters are incredibly pumped by this personal blow made for justice.

The justification given when people accuse him of being inhospitable, rude, and generally uncaring of these soldiers as people stuck there by accident without extra clothes who, like normal human beings, want to walk in the sunshine?

It's the law. He was only enforcing the law.

Maybe this guy has never aspired to liberalism. I honestly don't know, but you have to admit he seems like a pretty darned uptight person.

(I'm not sure I want to thank Papa Ray for the h/t on this, as I'm sort of sorry to have read it.)

3 Comments:

  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger Synova said…

    Thanks. :)

    My goal for today is to get some links up to other blogs. I'll definately check out Observanda.

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Papa Ray said…

    I'm sorry I read that crap too synova. But I should have guessed some of it. the Irish are a very race, politics and culture divided people.

    That will help them resist the invasion of Muslims but their isolationism and prejudices will hurt them in the long run.

    Most still hate the Brits so bad they can't see much further than that.

    Papa Ray

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yet another well-deserved Congrats to you! I always make a point to read you on several diffent blogs, and now you have this one to showcase your well-conceived points of view. Looking forward to it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home